1. Pint of Prawns at Taco Taco, served with sriracha mayo, warm tortillas, iceberg & lemon. These prawns, so big and tasty, were some of the best I’ve had.
2. Warm smoked haddock, organic leeks, deep fried egg and mustard hollandaise at Campagne was starter perfection…
3. Catalan Shrimp at Pure Spirits in the Distillery District in Toronto. Sitting outside in the sunshine definitely helped but these were so delicious (and yes there’s a seafood trend on the starters!).
4. A nautical setting at the Boathouse in Dromquinna Manor in Kenmare, Co. Kerry is where I found one of the best chowders – described as ‘wild atlantic seafood, garden pea’ – the flavours here were sensational and I loved it.
5. Scallops at One Pico – Seared Scallops, Sweetcorn, Iberico Ham. A stunningly beautiful dish, it looked fantastic on the red plate, 3 scallops with charred corn and the soft and salty ham just worked perfectly.
6. Finally leaving the seafood and shellfish behind… The Charcuterie Board at Ravine Vineyard in St. Davids (Toronto) made for a lovely sharing starter – pickled vegetables, breads, meats, egg, nuts – a gorgeous board which looked fantastic and tasted great.
Look out for the next installment of the Best of 2015!