I put a photo of this up on social media and it got quite good feedback, super easy and tasty, perfect January supper – so thought I would pop the recipe up here…
Serves 4 (or less if hungry!)
- 4 Chicken Breasts (Skinless / Boneless)
- 1 Clove Garlic (Finely Chopped)
- 1 Red Pepper (Deseeded / Sliced)
- 1 Onion (sliced)
- Button Mushrooms (Sliced)
- 1 Small Courgette (Sliced)
- Zest and Juice of 1/2 Lemon
- Handful of Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes (with basil)
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Ground Black Pepper
- Dried Herbs – Basil, Rosemary, Oregano
- Red wine (optional)
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy based casserole dish. Cut the chicken breasts in half (lengthways), season with salt & pepper and add to the dish. Fry gently until they start to colour, don’t cook through. Remove and set aside.
Add a little more olive oil to the dish with the garlic and onion. Saute for a few minutes, then add the pepper, mushrooms and courgette along with the cherry tomatoes. Grate the lemon zest and add the juice at this stage also. Add the tin of tomatoes (along with a tin of water) and the herbs, season with a little more salt & lots of black pepper. If you have red wine add a glug or two to the casserole!
Return the chicken to the casserole. Stir everything together. Bring the casserole to the boil for a few minutes on the hob. Cover and place in the oven. Bake for about 35-40 minutes.
I served this with fusilli pasta, however a large green salad, rosemary potatoes, green vegetables, crusty bread would all work well too.