Its back… The Friday Gin Review – and this week its ‘Bulldog Gin’…
Bulldog Gin launched in 2007 by former investment banker, Anshuman Vohra, is a London Gin. Inspired by his travels around the world, he sourced a blend of 12 botanicals from eight countries to bring a unique flavour to Bulldog Gin, one that he felt was lacking in the Gins at that time.
With the botanicals decided on then came the bottle design and the very distinctive bottle that this is. They say that the inspiration for their name comes from Sir Winston Churchill, an iconic, independent spirit and embodiment of the British “Bulldog Spirit”…
Bulldog Gin first developed a following in New York before spreading east to Europe and is now available in 25 countries.
So here it is – the 12 botanicals …:
- DRAGON EYE (Dimocarpus Longana) – from China, a sweet, light flavour.
- WHITE POPPY (Eschscholzia) – from Turkey, a sweet and nutty flavour.
- LOTUS LEAVES (Nynphaea) – from China, a unique and enticing “perfume” flavour.
- LEMON (Citrus Limon) – from Spain, a fresh crisp flavour.
- ALMOND (Prunus Amygdalus) – from Spain, a subtle nutty flavour.
- CASSIA (Cinnamonum Cassia) – from Indo-China, related to cinnamon and has a similar aromatic flavour.
- LAVENDER (Lavandula Angustifolia) – from France, a fragrant, flowering plant in the mint family
- ORRIS (Iris Germanica) – from Italy, a flowery yet woody flavour
- LIQUORICE (Glycyrrhiza Glabra) – from China, a sweet aftertaste
- JUNIPER (Juniperus Communis) – from Italy, berries from the juniper shrub
- ANGELICA (Angelica Archangelica) – from Germany a tall perennial herb, a delicate flavour.
- CORIANDER (Coriandrum Sativum) – from Morocco, a mild but distinctive lemon, sage flavour.
The gin is fresh, floral in some ways, certainly reminiscent of the classic London dry Gins. It’s quite a mellow and smooth Gin, hints of spice, but not overpowering, juniper shines through. Overall the taste, aroma, flavour is quite subtle, maybe too subtle…
With so many unique, different, boutique Gins around now with very distinctive flavour profiles, Bulldog gets a little bit lost in this. However for a G&T with a slice of lime, its perfect, a martini also would make this Gin look good.
1.5 oz. (45 ml) BULLDOG Gin
1 oz. (30 ml) Fresh Lime Juice
.5 oz. (15 ml) Simple Syrup
Shake all ingredients with ice. Strain into a martini glass.
To buy Bulldog – online Master of Malt stock Bulldog Gin – €26.18 / 70cl
Bulldog Gin – http://www.bulldoggin.com / @BULLDOGGIN